As our principal learning takes place over one extended day of seven hours, it is vital that if pupils do miss this day that the impact is minimised. This is achieved through using the VLE as set out below:
- Attendance is monitored by an online Google docs register which can be monitored live by the home school.
- If the pupil is absent they will be able to access the work and/or support through the VLE at home or at their home school during and outside the diploma day.
- If the specialist teacher is absent effective learning can still take place with cover staff using the resources on the VLE
Remote access allows pupils and staff to communicate and work on assignments outside the diploma day. Remote access also allows:
- Pupils to access specialist support and resources from the principal learning centre and the industrial partners at any time.
- Pupils progress can be monitored by any authorised person including parents
- Pupils can access resources and progress at a pace which suits their ability.
- Pupils can continue to work on assignments outside the diploma day.
- Pupils from different home schools can communicate and participate in joint tasks or activities.
- Teaching staff can access specialist support from colleagues and industrial partners.
- Quality assurance - all pupils have access to the same course content across centres.
- Specialist resources and computer programs can be accessed through the VLE. This facility reduces licensing costs for home schools.
Assessment and monitoring
- Using a VLE a wide range of assessment techniques can be facilitated from self -marking tests to assessment and mentoring by an industrial specialist.
- The VLE is an ideal platform for AFL and APP allowing formative assessments and target setting to continually take place.
- VLE provides access to resources to aid self and peer assessments